Friday 24 September 2010

Three Days

So, update of my time in New York so far.

Tuesday - we went to the Botanical Gardens, which were absolutely beautiful - a few photos of which can be seen below - but there was far too much to see given the time constraints we had.  It was a shame to see that some of the flowers were beginning to die off, but that's completely understandable given the time of year.  I bet at the height of flowering season this place is absolutely spectacular!






Tuesday night we went to see Wicked, and what a spectacle that is!  Absolutely brilliant it was.  I would definitely go and see it again.  It was funny and sad all at the same time.  It really makes you think about whether good is really good and evil is really evil.  It clearly depends on your perspective of things at the time they happen.  Naturally, I took a sneaky pic of the Gershwin Theater, but if anyone asks, it wasn't me!!!


Wednesday I spent in Baltimore.  I spent a lot of time down at Inner Harbour.  I started the morning off with an historic walk which was done by the visitors centre.  It was interesting, but the lady taking the tour tended to get a bit lost in the information she was giving.  Still, I came away knowing more than I did before I went to Baltimore!  I then went up the World Trade Centre (the tallest pentagonal building in the world apparently), and took some gorgeous photographs from the top of there.  I then spent a lot of time around the amphitheatre listening to a guy sing songs and another man dancing.  He seemed so content!  It was amazing how many people actually got up and started dancing when someone joined him... black, white, kids... such an eclectic mix of people!  Apart from going to get some dinner, I spent the rest of my time in Baltimore there, because it was just so picturesque as the sun began to set behind us.  I was however, absolutely shattered by the time I got back to the hotel, having been on the go for over 20 hours!!!

Thursday - had a late breakfast and then headed up to Yankee Stadium for a tour.  What an absolute honour it was to be there.  The new stadium looks amazing, and they're so proud of the history of the club, and rightly so.  We looked at the museum, where there were over 800 balls signed by different players (Derek Jeter's is below), and a whole bunch of memorabilia relating to different aspects of their history, including rivalries, the three teams there used to be in New York, and the World Series they've won so far.


After the museum we were led to Monument Park where they honour all the past players who've had their numbers retired and also have plaques to key figures in the clubs history, including the late George Steinbrenner, who owned the club, and was key in shaping how baseball teams are run.

Following on from that we headed to the Yankees dugout, and that really was an honour - to be in the same place that the modern greats sit on a regular basis was wonderful.

Having concluded the tour, I headed back down to Midtown and did a bit of shopping, after lunch with Cher.  I bought a bunch of stuff I probably don't need, but I at least will wear from Old Navy.

This evening it was the first Rangers preseason game.  Luckily they won in overtime, but it just reminds me of how much I miss seeing them live when I'm not here.  Okay, I subscribe to be able to watch them over the internet, but it's not the same, is it?

Now is time for bed.  I have officially turned 26, and all I want to do is sleep.  The fact that it is 1:30 in the morning has nothing to do with it.  I am getting old.  Goodnight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;